Thursday, June 10, 2010

Social Media aggregators and interaction computer - smartphone, where to look to manage your digital life?

For few weeks now I want to take some time to think about the organisation and the flow of my information. I have Facebook for my friends, Linkedin for the professional, Twitter for the social media and monitoring related. Then you have my StumbleUpon that I use like the library of my favorites that I tag.
After that you have 3 emails adresses, a blog where I would like to be more active, a Flickr and a Picasa... I also belong to two networking groups, one on Meetup, another one on a forum.
And well that is not that much...
So what did I do?
I looked at aggregators of social media.


First I have used Digsby for some time and I found it handy. It manages social media like Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin, plus your Hotmail and your Gmail. The problem is I have 2 hotmail adresses. And that Disby does not handle that well. Everytime I had to disconnect one or the other email adresses. I know that I could coupled (linked) my 2 hotmail emails together and that it could maybe have change something but I simply don't want to do that. But I will be maybe obliged to if I want things to be easy.


Then you have FriendFeed which support an extended list of social services (Facebook, Twitter of course but also Digg, StumbleUpon or even your blog), but not your emails. (see PC world review)


There is also Spindex from Microsoft. I am currently looking at it and what I can say about it for the moment is that it is nice to have several social tools in a kind of dashboard. But... It is very slow and despite the fact that I connected my twitter account, it gets no result from it. And also you can not upload from somewhere else what you want in your RSS feeds. You need to type them all over again.
I have a spare invitation if somebody is interested. The first to ask for it, gets it.


I am still very tempted by FriendFeed, a place for my social personal library and my links... mmm... I am trying it too. The thing is that I don't have friends on Facebook that have FriendFeed. And I don't want to invite them to join a new social media platform if I am not sure that I like it. So I only get the Twitter status of the people that I know and that are on FriendFeed (8)... Well I still need to spend time at it but the first impression is not really good.


What I would like more is that all my regular activities online had made a widget and that I could compose my own dashaboard with all my favorite ones... What do you think about that? And if I can ask for something more... can it integrate my sms as well? Sounds archaic I know, but it can be handy when your mum does not have a proper internet connection.
I don't want just a flow of information from all the sources together.I prefer it to be organized by network. Spindex allows you to select one source at the time.


The widgets would "just" need to be all connected to share what I want where I want to who I want. Privacy, privacy...


But I would also like to have those widgets (or apps) on my smartphone and to be able synchronize data with my laptop. In that matter, we are not there yet but well, it is now possible to push content from the Chrome browser to your smartphone. If it is possible in that sense, it must be possible in the other sense...


I think I have seen a presentation from Google about the computer - smartphone interaction. Pity I did not favorite the video somewhere... how come..? If I find it, I will add it to that post.


And what about you, how do you manage your digital life?

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment